Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Falling out of Love

To me, love is not something that changes in a day, or really even a week. In my experience, there has always been something, one moment in time, that you know you aren't in love anymore. It might be a new controversial movie you go see together and come out with different views, maybe it's a weekend at either of your parents houses and you realize they aren't 'the one'.

My boyfriend, Austin, and I have broken up this past week and I was told at first that he needed to 'figure out his life'. I can handle that and thought although it came on quickly, I would be alright and so would our relationship. Hoping he would realize that he couldn't live his life without me.

When we were talking last night, I asked him if this was a permanent breakup and he said yes. I was completely heartbroken and after pressing the issue, I asked "What. Did you just fall out of love with me?" Much to my dismay, his reply was simply "Yes." Apparently it wasn't my personality, looks, friends, lifestyle or morals.

Again I heard, "It's not you, it's me." Is there something wrong with me that after months of complete happiness someone starts to think, ehh .. that was fun, and begin to move on to bigger and greater things?

Love is the history of a woman's life; it is an episode in man's.
~ Germaine De Stael

1 comment:

Dan said...

Love the quote at the end, Claire. However, I think it would be more fitting if "man" could be changed to "young man".